Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Quill Stems

One thing that I will not compromise on when it come to bicycles are threaded stems.  I find threadless headsets and stems about as ugly as bike parts come.  Both threaded and threadless systems have they're benefits and detractors, but the main thing being that threadless stems are slightly lighter.  As far as quill stem selection goes, I feel that probably the best quality and looking stems ever are being produced today, all of them by Nitto.

Nitto Technomic, 100mm, 427g

Nitto have been producing stems and a good number of other parts since the 1920's under they're namesake and for pretty much ever other quality bicycle manufacturer.  When it comes to quality, their stems are all very reliable, but you pay more depending on the lower weight and quality of finish.

Nitto Technomic Deluxe

I currently have the technomic deluxe on my bicycle.  My finance has a standard technomic on her bicycle.  I like the look of both of them, but I especially like the technomic font.  The main difference between these two are the finish and stem height.  The pearl stem shown below is also a nice option, but with even less height adjustment when compared to either of the technomic stems.  I could easily go with any of these stems, but I think I'll leave the decision up to what my stem height requirements will be.
  
Nitto Pearl, 100mm, 325g

1 comment:

  1. The Deluxe also has a little nice clamp design.
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete