Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Components

When selecting components I keep three criteria in mind.  Functionality, quality and looks.  By functionality I mean exactly that, the component must function well.  By quality I mean that the component will not break down easily.  Finally, the least important criteria, looks.  Looks is a self explanatory criteria and an individual decision.  What I like the look of someone else may not and vice versa.  If I am stuck choosing between two components that have the functionality and quality covered, then I'd go to looks for the tie breaking decision.

One thing I don't really consider is weight.  For me, weight is not really much of a concern.  I give more credence to function and quality over weight.  I like to compete with myself when I ride by improving ride times, but I can do that through training.  Carry a bit of extra weight in parts isn't going to increase my speed that significantly.  Grant Peterson made a great excel chart that shows how insignificant frame and component weights are when you take into account a bicycle plus the weight of the rider.  As well I plan on using a good sided saddle bag with this bike and who knows what all I'll carry in it.

Now I've outlined my selection guidelines, here is a list of the components I will need to select

Handle bars
Headset
Stem
Brake Levers
Saddle
Seatpost
Crankset
Chainrings
F/R Derailleurs
Shifters
Hubs
Wheels
Spokes
Chain
Pedals
Tires
Cassette
and probably a few other things I have forgotten about.

Some of these Item I have already begun procuring and others I have yet to make a decision on.  In future posts I'll write about my thoughts on my selections.

No comments:

Post a Comment