Thursday, January 12, 2012

Project Bike

As I had mentioned in my last posting, winter weather has (sort of) begun here in Toronto, which, has led me to pick up once again with this sportif bicycle project.  I have acquired several components over the summer and fall, but have not found the time to write about them.  The most important piece I now have is a project frame courtesy of my friend Gary seen below rescuing said frame.


Gary found this frame waiting on a curb for the garbage truck to take away about 10 years ago.  What he recovered was a champagne colour, 70's Raleigh International; probably 1974 or so.  The paint is a bit rough and it had no wheels, but the frame has hardly any rust and no dents to speak of.  The Raleigh International was designed as a light touring frame, but was oddly built up with Campagnolo Nuovo Record racing components with tubular wheels.

1974 Raleigh International catalogue

The frame and fork are made entirely of Reynolds 531 tubing using Nervex profesional lugs.  The chrome plating on my bike is a bit pitted and I have not yet attempted to clean it up, so depending on the condition, I may or may not paint over the chrome bits.  I'm unsure whether I want to update this frame by adding braze-ons and giving it a new paint job or to try to restore it.  I suppose the updating of the frame is mostly dependent upon where I can get the work done and the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment