Friday, January 20, 2012

Frame Braze-ons

The Raleigh International frame that I will be using for this project is a solid frame, but what I dislike about it are the lack of braze-ons.  I'm not exactly sure why bicycles in the 1970's used so many clamp on components (maybe to save weight?), but I find clamp on components and guides to be ugly.  Some braze-ons that I may apply to the frame are as follows:

Shifters; The clamp-on item I will without a doubt be replacing are the shifters seen below.

The Raleigh originally sported these clamp on Campagnolo Nuovo Record Shifters.

I will be adding brazed on shifter bosses to replace the clamp-on ones, which , will be fitted with retrofriction shifter.

Cable Guides; Originally equipped with the Campagnolo cable guide seen below.  I am planning on replacing this clamp on guide with brazed-on Campagnolo cable guides as they will match the existing dropouts.

Campagnolo Cable Guide or "twin gear cable clip" as it is referred to as in Campagnolo literature
Campagnolo BB shell cable guides

Water Bottle Cage;  the Raleigh has no accomodations for water bottle cage.  I will be adding one on the downtube and one on the seattube.

Water bottle cage braze-on

Fender Mounts and Centre-Pull Brakes;  since the rear brake bridge was not designed to accommodate fenders properly, I may either have a threaded bolt added to the bridge and a threaded socket (same thread as water bottle cage braze ons).  Another interesting braze on that I have seen added underneath the fork crown can be seen below.  The installation of a daruma performs the same function as this braze-on.

This photo shows centre-pull braze-ons being added to a fork crown.  Also note the fender mount at the bottom of the steer tube.

This is how Peter Weigle has added centre-pull braze-ons to his Cirque '08 winning randonneur .  It uses a style similar to a Jo Routens brake bridge.  Note the integrated Fender mounting bolt, nice.

Pump Peg;  I may also add a pump peg to this frame, perhaps somewhere in the rear triangle.  I use the pump peg on one of my other bicycles, which, is located under the top tube.  This is a poor location in my opinion, as it makes carrying the bicycle on your shoulder uncomfortable.

Positioning the pump in the rear triangle keeps it out of the way 

No comments:

Post a Comment